In Belgium, the Thales group is represented by five entities which are specialised in the sectors of space, telecommunications, defence and security. Nearly 1,000 employees with a variety of specialties work in these entities.
Thales Information Systems designs, operates and assures the maintenance of the critical information systems from its offices in Brussels. More specifically, its 100 employees develop turnkey IT systems and assist their customers on different levels (project management, architecture, etc.). Historically, the company developed its specialised know-how in the field of air traffic control (Eurocontrol, Belgocontrol and in the public sector (French Community, etc.).
Thales Communications Belgium, located in Tubize, is the market leader in the national sector of Defence and a major exporter. The company employs more than 160 highly-qualified people (more than 50% of whom are engineers). TCB develops a range of cutting-edge technological products and acts as « project manager » in the integration engineering of mission critical systems.
Thales Alenia Space ETCA, located in Charleroi, employs nearly 650 people. The company offers its expertise as European leader in electrical power equipment for satellites. Thales Alenia Space ETCA also provides more than 50% of the control and power electronics for the Ariane 5 launchers. TAS ECTA also possesses unique expertise in telecommunications (xDSL networks, satellite transmissions) and security (cryptography, etc.).
Forges de Zeebrugge is one of the world´s main actors in the field of airborne weapons systems. In Herstal it employs more than 50 people whose expertise includes such competences as electronics, aeronautics, munitronics, mechanics and pyrotechnics. Always oriented towards the future and carefully taking the needs of its customers into account, FZ is currently developing a metric precision guided rocket. FZ positions itself as the only « systems provider » in the world which is capable of mastering all air-to-ground rocket systems.
Thales Parking Systems employs about 10 people in Brussels. TPS is a leader in management systems designed for secure public car parks. This company equips car parks with automatic barriers and payment terminals. It also upgrades existing equipment.
180 million euros in turnover (2008) for the 5 Belgian entities
77 years of existence in Belgium
5 Thales sites
150 satellites in orbit with Belgian equipment from Thales Alenia Space
50% of the on-board electronics for Ariane 5 is Belgian (Thales Alenia Space)
More than 400 vehicles of the Belgian army equipped by TCB (communication systems, command & control systems, «vetronic»)
NATO AWACS fleet (17 airplanes) equipped by TCB (communication system)
FZ rocket system adopted by 55 countries and 70 armies
RECRU V2 - Hardware Security module for Defence and Government applications
• The RECRU Crypto Card implements symmetric and asymmetric cryptographic security, digital signature and authentication methods in a USB hardware token
• On-board storage of keys, and digital certificates
• High quality true random generator
• Privacy of data achieved through high performance encryption
• Tamper resistant technology
nShield Connect 6000 - General purpose Hardware Security Module
• Controls access to critical information
• Protects your business processes
• Delivers trusted, FIPS-validated security
• Provides scalable encryption services
ISATIS - Personal Computer and Files Security
• Hard disk encryption and pre-boot authentication
• Password or Token Authentication
• Fully transparent disk encryption
• File integrity checking
• Single-Sign-On to the operating system
• Hardware-based security solution with RECRU V2
• Remote management console
• Exchange of protected files within a closed group of users
SafeSign - Strong Authentication and ID Management
• SafeSign solutions encompass signing and verification of users and transactions, secure access for users and full lifecycle identity management using strong authentication
• Multiple authentication technologies used
• Controls access to multiple applications on the same system
• Flexible and integrated approach to strong authentication
• Minimization of administration and operating costs